Cobar - FURTHER INFORMATION
Cobar - Cobar visitor guide showing a virtual tour of 'Cobar' linked to an interactive map with local and travel information. 360° panoramas from New South Wales.
Cobar in New South Wales owes it's existence to mining copper, found here in 1970. This lead to the founding of the Great Cobar Copper Mining Company Limited in 1878. The copper ran out in 1920's but the discovery of gold, lead, silver and zinc iin the 1980's has led to recent growth in the region. The important mining belts include Cobar belt, the Canbelego belt and the Girilambone belt and visits to the mine can be arranged through the Tourist Information Office.
Cobar is located on the crossroads of the Kidman Way and the Barrier Highway in New South Wales, 710 kilometres west of Sydney and 825 kilometres north of Melbourne. The region is semi-arid and, as well as servicing the surrounding mines, which have become tourist attractions, Cobar also serves the surrounding agricultural stations. Cobar is derived from the Ngiyampaa Aboriginal word 'Kuparr', thought to be their localised version of 'copper'.
Cobar AttractionsCobar features heritage walks and parks, a Commonwealth Meteorological Station, Mine lookouts, Mine tours, and colourful outback sunsets. Among the attractions are:
- Great Cobar Heritage Center - with a museum to the past.
- Aboriginal Rock Art at Mt Grenfell - 40km west of Cobar, the Mt Grenfell Historic Site contains a free natural Aboriginal art museum and many fine examples of Rock Art.
- Great Western Hotel Balcony - built in 1898, the Great Western Hotel boasts the longest balcony in New South Wales. Nymagee Outback Music Festival - celebrated in Nymagee, 98 km south of Cobar, every October.
- Festival of the Miner's Ghost - festival to the past, held in October. Fort Bourke Hill - rising 60m above the town with panoramic views over the surrounding area.
- Mount Drysdale - former gold-mining town, 34 km north of Cobar.
- Cobar Miners Heritage Park - history of mining in the area with a 2m statue of a miner.
- Commonwealth Meteorological Station - with tours of the most modern weather station in Australia and watch the release of weather baloons. Peak Gold Mine - viewing platform overlooking this working mine 8km south of Cobar.Old Reservoir and Devil's Rock - the 'Old Res' was formerly the water supply for Cobar, now used for recreation and water sports. Nearby is Devil's Rock, an old rock formation where the Ngemba people carried out their ceremonial rites.
TRAVEL DIRECTIONS AND GETTING THERE
Car: Cobar is on the 32 (Barrier Highway) about 130km west of Nyngan and 260km east of Wilcannia. It is 700km from Sydney.